The Saltaire Village Website, World Heritage Site
Colin Coates
Reel Lives
Mill Workers
House Histories
Extra Biographies
News: 100 years ago
Second Boer War
WW1: Saltaire Story
WW2: Roll of Honour
Social History
Back button | Home | Colin Coates research | House Histories | Albert Road
Image: Flinty Maguire
Saltaire House Histories
Researched by Colin Coates
 

NEW RESEARCH - more streets will be added

Ada Street | Albert Road

Image: No 1 Albert Road, the only detached dwelling in Saltaire.

 

1 Albert Road

No. 1 Albert Road was built around 1866.

In the 1871, 1881 and 1891 censuses the house was home to the Wood family. Frederick Wood was born 1841 in Halifax. He worked as a cashier at Saltaire Mills. Frederick married Ann Potter in 1867. They had five children but three died in infancy. Ann died in 1889. In 1891 Frederick was with his two children and a housekeeper.

In 1901 the house was occupied by John Cowie a railway ticket collector, his wife Mary and four daughters.

By 1902 the house had been converted into a Lloyd’s bank and a dwelling by combining it with 5 Myrtle Place.

The bank was opened 26 May 1902 as per the notice below from the Shipley Times 16 May 1902: -

Transcription: LLOYD'S BANK, LIMITED.
A Branch of this Bank will be opened at SALTAIRE on Monday, the 26th instant, in premises situated at the CORNER of ALBERT ROAD and SALTAIRE ROAD, under the Management of Mr JAMES BROOKS.
Hours of Business: 10 to 3 p.m.; Saturdays, 9 to 12.
E. ALEXANDER DUFF, General Manager.
Head Office, Birmingham, May 15th, 1902.

Report from the Shipley Times 1 February 1907 as follows: -

Mr James Brooks, who has been manager of Lloyds Bank at Saltaire since that branch opened four and half years ago, is to take charge of the same bank which is to be opened next Monday at the bottom of Bank Street, Bradford.

In the 1911 census it was named “Bank House.” The occupants were George Joseph Green, a bank manager, his wife Lily, with sons John and Robert Henry and two servants.

John Green served as a Major in WW2, and Robert Henry Green was a prisoner of war in Singapore.

Report from the Shipley Times 5 December 1913: -

Mr G J Green, who has been manager of the Saltaire branch of Lloyd’s Bank for the last seven years, has been promoted to the post of assistant manager at Park Row, Leeds, and will shortly take up residence at Headingley. His successor at Saltaire is Mr John Coleman, from the Great Hampton Branch, Birmingham.

In the 1918 Electoral Register the house is listed as the Bank Manager’s House, Saltaire Road. The occupants were John Coleman and his wife Florence Mary.

Report from the Shipley Times 6 September 1918 as follows: -

Mr J Coleman, an active worker in the interests of St Peter’s church, Shipley, is about to leave the district, having been appointed a Lloyd’s Bank inspector for the London district. Mr Coleman has been manager of the Saltaire Branch.

From a report in the Shipley Times 23 March 1923, the manager of the bank was Mr Garton.

By 1924 the manager was Percival Lund.

When Percival retired in 1924, he was replaced by Charles Bowyer, who was working in the Chester branch, Charles was the son of the late Mr. A. W. Bowyer. who was for 25 years Mathematical Master at the Bradford Grammar School, where he was educated. Charles commenced his career in banking at the Halifax Joint Stock Bank Ltd. at Bradford and was transferred to the Chester branch as an accountant in 1923. Whilst managing the bank he lived at 13 Victoria Park, Shipley.

In the 1939 Register, Bank House was occupied by William Scott, a bankers’ clerk born 25 January 1887, his wife Hildegard (nee Miller) born 20 October 1894, and their son William born 15 April 1925. William had married Hildegard, 20 April 1922, at Ilkley parish church. Hildegard was a member of the local women’s voluntary service.

There was a basement for 1 Albert Road, and this was occupied by Fred Mason a window cleaner, born 12 February 1906, and his wife Freda (nee Armitage) born 22 May 1912, who was both the bank caretaker and a daily maid. Fred had married Freda in 1934. Fred was a member of the Shipley Auxiliary Fire Service.

Charles Clarence Bristol was manager of the bank from October 1945 to June 1958.

Report from the Shipley Times 24 October 1945 as follows: -

Already well known in Shipley, Mr C. C. Bristol, of Sherwood Grove, Nab Wood, will tomorrow succeed Mr C. H. Bowyer as manager of Saltaire branch of Lloyds Bank Ltd.

Report from the Shipley Times 28 May 1958: -

Mr. George Edward Clapham at present clerk-in-charge, has been appointed manager of the Saltaire and Shipley branches of Lloyds Bank Ltd., in succession to Mr. C. C. Bristol, of Sherwood Grove, Shipley, who is shortly retiring .

From the Electoral Register 1919 to 1960 the occupants were: -

1919 to 1924 – James & Mabel Garton, Arthur Jennings
1925 to 1938 – Percival & Florence Lund
1939 – William & Hildegard Scott, Fred & Freda Mason
1946 to 1947 – William & Hildegard Scott, Samuel Sidebottom & Maria Sidebottom.
1948 – Eleanor & Marjorie Harwood, Samuel & Maria Sidebottom, Phillip & Winifred Sykes.
1949 to 1950 – Samuel & Maria Sidebottom, Phillip & Winifred Sykes.
1951 to 1952 – Samuel & Maria Sidebottom, George, Gladys & Sheila Clapham
1953 to 1956 – Maria Sidebottom, George, Gladys & Sheila Clapham
1958 to 1960 – Maria Sidebottom

Bank Managers 1902 to 1958

1902 to 1907 – James Brooks
1907 to 1913 – George Green
1913 to 1918 – John Coleman
1918 to 1924 – James Garton
1924 to 1938 – Percival Lund
1938 to 1945 – Charles Bowyer
1945 to 1958 – Charles Bristol
1958 to???? – George Clapham

In 1974 the property was taken over by local estate & insurance agents Cotson & Reddish.

 
3 Albert Road (was No. 2, renumbered in 1926)

No. 3 Albert Road was built around 1866. It was originally No. 2, but was re-numbered as No. 3 in 1926 when the houses on the west side of Albert Road were built.

In the 1871 census (2 April) the house was home to Hiram Jagger a drawing overlooker from Thornton aged 36, his wife Mary (nee Wood) aged 37 and three sons aged from 4, 8 and 11. Mary and Hiram were married in Halifax in 1858.

In September 1871 the house was occupied by the Rev. W. H. Ibberson as shown in the notice below from the Bradford Daily Telegraph: -

Transcription: WESTGATE BAPTIST CHAPEL, BRADFORD.
The following ministers are expected to preach morning and evening in the above chapel as follows:- Lord's Day, September 10th, Rev. W. H. IBBERSON (2 Albert Road, Saltaire). Lord's Day, September 17th, Rev. H. DOWSON...

Elizabeth Hannah, wife of Thomas Greenwood of 2 Albert Road, Saltaire, died 25 November 1876, aged 40.

In 1881 the occupants were Ernest William Kitching, his wife Harriet, their son Ernest aged one month, and a female servant Elizabeth Thorrington aged 19 from Surrey.

In 1891 the house was home to Hamer Bailey, a spinning manager, his wife Hannah (nee Jowett), his son Walter a grocer aged 23 and a niece, Sarah Bailey aged 24. Hamer had married Hannah in 1880.

In 1901 the house was home to Aesop Binns, his wife Mary (nee Brearley) and their son Stephen Binns. Aesop was a wool combing manager and Stephen a wool combing overlooker. In

In 1911 Stephen Binns, an assistant wool combing manager, was living in the house alone with his wife, Edith (nee Straker), his parents having moved to Shipley.

In the 1939 Register the occupants were Sydney Frank Hall, a worsted storekeeper, born 27 June 1891, his wife Mary (nee O’Flaherty) born 25 September 1887, their daughter Elizabeth born 30 July 1927 and Mary’s sister Ethel O’Flaherty born 31 January 1885 a wholesale paper merchant’s clerk who was a diabetic. Sydney served with the R.A.F. in WW1. He had married Mary 7 October 1922 at St Stephen’s Bowling. Stephen died 26 November 1946 at 3 Albert Road.

Report from the Shipley Times 16 September 1959 as follows: -

IN AID OF THE BLIND

Margaret and Ann Burton, of 3 (renumbered 3 in 1926) Albert Road, Saltaire, and Pamela and Pat Walker, of 19 Tower Road, Shipley, recently raised 25s. for the Shipley and Baildon Blind Welfare Association from a stall of goods.

From the Electoral Register 1892 to 1960 the occupants were: -

1892 to 1895 – Hamer Bailey
1896 to 1909 – Aesop Binns
1911 to 1922 – Stephen Binns
1923 to 1928 – William & Emma Nunns
1929 – Annie, Joseph & Fred Shackleton
1930 – Annie & Alec Shackleton
1931 to 1946 – Sydney & Mary Hall, Ethel O’Flaherty
1947 – Mary Hall & Ethel O’Flaherty
1948 to 1957 – Mary & Elizabeth Hall, Ethel O’Flaherty
1958 – Mary & Elizabeth Hall
1960 – Dorothy Burton

 
 

 

 

 

Our friends

Salts Mill

David Hockney

Saltaire United Reformed Church

Saltaire Inspired

Saltaire Festival

Saltaire Archive

Saltaire Daily Photo

Copyright

Content copyright of individual contributors.
Please enquire.

About

This website

Colin Coates

The Saltaire Journal, Nemine Juvante Publications

Contact

Editor: Flinty Maguire
editor@saltairevillage.info

Reseacher: Colin Coates
colincoates@saltairevillage.info

Saltaire Social History
history@saltairevillage.info

 
Disclaimer

This website is unfunded and run by volunteers. We do our best! The information may be inaccurate or out of date.