Caroline Street, Saltaire
Introduction | Ada St | Albert Rd | Albert Terrace | Alexandra Square | Amelia St | Caroline St | Constance St | Daisy Place | Dove St | Edward St | Exhibition Rd | Fanny St | Fern Place | George St | Gordon Terr | Harold Place | Helen St | Herbert St | Higher School St | Jane St | Katherine St | Lockwood St | Lower School St | Mary St | Mawson St | Myrtle Place | Shirley St | Titus St | Victoria Rd | Victoria Terr | Whitlam St | William Henry St
<< Previous | Next >>
Caroline Street is named after the wife of Saltaire’s founder, Titus Salt. The couple had met during a business visit by Titus to Lincolnshire, where Caroline lived at the Manor House, Grimsby, the youngest daughter of the wealthy Whitlam family. Titus (26) and Caroline (18) were married in the Parish Church, Grimsby, in 1830.
During their marriage of more than 46 years, Caroline had 11 children. As Titus’ business and civic responsibilities grew, Caroline is seen to have played her part, as supportive wife, at formal events and ceremonies. Sadly, Caroline was to see five of her children predecease her.
The death of Sir Titus in 1876 was followed by a move south by the Dowager Lady Caroline, to Clapham, in Surrey. With her two unmarried daughters Helen and Ada, Caroline set up home in Broadoak, an impressive mansion standing in grounds overlooking Clapham Common. This was to be the home of Lady Salt for the remainder of her life. Broadoak still stands, west of the present day underground station of Clapham South.
On 20th April, 1893, Lady Caroline Salt died, aged 81, at St. Leonard's on Sea, a resort where it had been her habit to spend her summers. Her body was brought by train to Saltaire on 24th April. After a service the following day in the Congregational Church, Lady Caroline was laid to rest in the family mausoleum, alongside her late husband Sir Titus and four of her already-dead children.
Contact the Barlo & Shaw | Comment on this article